We will start examining food from a physiological perspective, after which the conference will continue with the design of taste, our evolutionary preference for sugar and fat and lifestyle and health from young till old. Topics of discussion include, if you can learn how to taste, how to make the choice for conscious and healthy food, why an unhealthy lifestyle is attractive and what is the good way to do grocery shopping after this conference.
Participants of this mini-conference are scientists, taste designers, doctors and representatives of the food industry. But also the consumer who is interested in food and wants to learn more about the design of it, so he can make a conscious decision what to eat. Timetable
13.00-16.00 hrs: Mini-conference, Auditorium, The New Institute, Museumpark 25 Rotterdam
16.00-18.00 hrs: Guided tours
18.00-20.00 hrs: Diner, Future Food House, Museumpark Rotterdam Program
Host: Froukje Jansen
13.00 hrs: Welcome with a drink
13.30 hrs: Start presentations of two keynote speakers (English spoken)
- ‘Key ingredients of health and ageing’, Oscar Franco Duran, epidemiologist at the Erasmus MC Rotterdam and former researcher at the University of Cambridge and Unilever.
- Martin Hablesreiter, auteur of the book Food Design XL, about the question how to make food look so it is attractive.
14.15 hrs: Intermission
14.30 hrs: Brief presentations in Dutch
- Koen Joosten, paediatrician at the Erasmus MC Sophia Children’s Hospital, about the taste-development of children.
- Aart-Jan van der Lelij, Professor of Clinical Endocrinology at the Erasmus MC, about addiction on sugar and fat.
- Design & Food, about the link between the two.
15.10 hrs: Panel discussion in Dutch
16.00 hrs: End mini-conference
16.00 hrs: Start guided tours
- Exhibition ‘BioDesign’, About the Cross-Pollination of Nature, Science and Creativity, The New Institute, Museumpark 25 Rotterdam
- Future Food House, An exciting vision on the future of our food, Museumpark Rotterdam
18.00 hrs: Diner ‘There is accounting for tastes’, by Cateringa & Kompanen. Based on deforming the look, texture and smell of food
20.00 hrs: Start of Discovery Festival Rotterdam, Erasmus MC Education Center & MuseumparkTickets
Tickets are available at the website of Discovery Festival Rotterdam: http://www.discoveryfestival.nl/rotterdam
Mini-conference : €10,-
Combiticket mini-conference & diner: €35,- | €20,- (students)
Combiticket mini-conference, diner & Discovery Festival: €40,- | €25,- (students)
Diner: €20,- | €15,- (students)